Priest Lake Museum

Priest Lake MuseumThe Priest Lake Museum is a great place to begin any visit to the lake and a fitting showplace to remind us of the numerous influences that created the special character of Priest Lake. The museum building was constructed in 1935 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It is a prime example of handcrafted oil-treated tamarack (larch) log construction. The building initially served as a residence and office for the first Ranger on what was then Kaniksu National Forest. The museum houses numerous articles and displays that depict the colorful history of the lake and the surrounding area.

The early history of the Priest Lake area was forged by Native Americans, trappers, missionaries, miners, homesteaders, loggers and businessmen. Each of these groups is represented in the museum through various exhibits and dioramas. The museum also contains a living room and kitchen that are furnished as they might have been in the 1930s.

The museum is housed on the west shore, 1/2-mile south of the Luby Bay Campground and just north of Hill's Resort.

Print Email

Priest Lake Chamber of Commerce Copyright© 2018 | PO Box 174 Coolin, Idaho 83821
Phone: (208) 443-3191
| Toll Free: (888) 774-3785